TEMPORARY LABORER (PART-TIME)
May 16, 2022
LOUISA COUNTY WATER AUTHORITY
JOB DESCRIPTION: TEMPORARY PART-TIME LABORER
This position is manual work involving the maintenance of the Zions Crossroads Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) grounds and its appurtenances for the Louisa County Water Authority (LCWA). The Temporary Part-Time Laborer reports directly to the Zions WWTP Chief Operator. This is non-exempt level position.
Essential Functions of the Position:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Maintains the WWTP grounds which includes mowing, trimming the grass and surrounding vegetation.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of WWTP equipment.
- Performs other work as requested.
- Applicant must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Applicant shall adhere to LCWA policies and procedures regarding absences and tardiness and/or requesting time off from work.
- Requires the ability to adapt to changes in work hours and job tasks to appropriately respond to emergencies or as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This position requires the following knowledge, skills, and abilities, or the aptitude to learn or acquire what is listed below. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. On-the-job training for some work tasks is available.
- Ability to work independently, follow oral and written directions, and to perform job requirements in a timely, accurate manner, including following-through on tasks.
- Ability to complete OSHA/Safety training as required, follow safety protocols, and always conduct him/herself in a safe manner.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Working knowledge and experience in the safe operation of a variety of hand tools, and various types of light equipment to include tractors, yard mowers, other grounds maintenance equipment is a plus.
Training and Education:
- This position provides on -the-job training.
- High school students eligible for employment are encouraged to apply. Under 16 years of age requires a legal Virginia work permit.
- Experience with grounds maintenance and/or knowledge of the operation of motor equipment is a plus.
- This is a temporary, hourly position without additional employment benefits.
- The position will terminate July 31, 2022.
- The position may continue beyond the termination date at the discretion of the LCWA General Manager.
- Work hours will be three days per week 8 am to 4:30 pm and one day per week from 8 am to 1 pm, for a maximum total of 29 hours per week.
- The regular workweek is Monday through Friday.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
- Work is typically performed outdoors and in hot weather conditions.
- The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, strong offensive odors, dirt, machinery with moving parts, irritating chemicals, cleaning solutions, solvents, oils, and petroleum products
- Physical activities include climbing, balancing, stooping, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching, grasping, and repetitive motions. Also includes the necessity to communicate by talking, hearing/listening.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus, for operation of machines and equipment, determination accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observation of general surroundings
- May be required to lift 50 pounds occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Professionalism and Work Ethic:
- Must be a “team player” and exhibit a positive, helpful attitude.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective positive working relationships with co-workers, other LCWA employees, contractors, consultants, and the general public.
- Must be willing to learn and demonstrate strong work ethics.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and resolve issues tactfully.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality whenever exposed to comments or conversations related to coworkers, their positions, pay scales or responsibilities.
Special Conditions or Requirements:
- Minimum age to apply is 15 (with a Virginia Vacation or Part-Time Employment Certificate), age 16 or older preferred.
- Must be willing to submit and pass a criminal history background check.
- Must consent to drug testing consistent with Louisa County Water Authority’s Drug Free Workplace Policy;
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager, department supervisor or other manager. Louisa County Water Authority reserves the right to revise or change job descriptions, job duties or working schedules based on their duty to comply with local, state, and federal regulations. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
I have read, understand, and accept the duties, standards and expectations required of this position. I hereby affirm
my good faith compliance with all Louisa County Water Authority policies and procedures.